Re: New Dachsie Mom

 

This sounds right to me, Nancy. 

On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:05 AM, Nancy Kaminski <zinnia@gmail.com> wrote:
 

Others correct me if I'm wrong---but I think you've got the green bean
diet not quite right. When my dachsie gained a bit of weight, I would
reduce her dry kibble intake and substitute green beans for the
missing quantity. She was a 22-pound standard, and her ration in
normal times was a half cup of kibble twice a day. When she gained a
pound and needed to diet, I would give her a quarter cup of kibble and
about a half cup of green beans for her meal twice a day.

That way her calorie intake was reduced and the bulk of the green
beans made her feel full and not deprived. (To avoid salt, get bags of
frozen green beans---they're better tasting, have no additives, are
not squishy, and are better for your doggie---and you <g>.)

So if your dog's normal daily food ration is a third of a cup twice a
day, it should be less when on a diet, with the green beans added to
make her feel full without many calories. I always gave my dachsie the
beans and the dry kibble together---she really loved it. I also never
gave her treats outside of two baby carrots a day. Remember, carrots
are relatively high in sugar (that's why they taste so good!) so
feeding a lot of them is not good.

I'm not sure that giving your dachsie fruit will aid in weight
loss---fruit can be high in sugar. Of course, giving a bit of fruit as
a treat is preferable to the usual dog treats, but when your dog is
dieting perhaps abstaining from fruit until she is near her perfect
weight would be a better idea.

Good luck with your dog's diet! It can be hard to resist those
pleading eyes, but you must for her own good!

Regards, Nancy Kaminski



On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 7:04 AM, Donna Wilson <crossone2003@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> Hello Jean,
>    my name is Donna and I have a red smooth also she is almost two. She has 6 pounds to shed also. I give her 1/3 cup of food in am and pm. I add green beans with no salt and carrots. I am  going to try some friuts too. She has also been running some in the house.




--
Nancy P. Foster
NBCT ALA ELA 2002
Retired English teacher

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment