Re: [boxer lovers] Hello

 

I've never had a GSD but I've had boxers since 1957. First off GSD is up in the top 5 biters. While I think any dog is only as good and well behaved as its training, my experience has been that boxers are one of the best breeds with children.

When my sister brought my niece to my parents' for the first time, she took a large comforter, spread it in the family room, put my 2 month old niece on it and "introduced" my niece to our boxer. GiGi (boxer) fell in love. Gently sniffed, didn't paw at the baby, laid down next to her and made sure her nose was touching the baby at all times. My sister had a bit of trouble convincing GiGi to let her take her baby home.

We had one big male, Mac, who some neighbor kids teased. Mac never growled never even paid much attention to them. But he did stop their silliness. The second time they came near the fence and started teasing, he walked over to the fence, looked them square in the eye ... and proceeded to pee on them from head to foot. And then walked away.

I had Vennie at a dog show. Things were crowded so I had him on a close leash. I heard a chuckle next to me, looked at the guy standing next to me. He indicated with his eyes and head to look down. Vennie had wrapped himself around the man's baby, protecting him from everyone else. As he did frequently, he was also trying to herd the little boy over toward me. I pointed out to Vennie the baby was in a diaper and I insisted he only bring home house broken "pets."

DO NOT TRUST ANY CHILD WITH ANY DOG UNTIL YOU SEE HOW THEY GET ALONG. Make sure any child around your dogs respects the dog's space, doesn't tease and knows how to behave.

I'd always trust a well bred boxer over almost any other breed with my family ... but having been owned by boxers since 1957, I tend to be a little prejudiced.

LisaW

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: "samanthafinch1980" <samanthafinch1980@yahoo.com>
Sender: boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 15:17:17
To: <boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com>
Reply-To: boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [boxer lovers] Hello

Hello,

My name is Sam Finch and I am kind of narrowing down my choices between a boxer and a german shepherd. I have 2 small children and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on what type of boxer, training tips, etc. Thanks

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment