Newbie mommy named puppy

 

I agree totally with Nancy, they can be housebroken.

Many times it depends upon on how you do it and their age. The earlier the better and don’t use puppy pads! This only enforces the idea of going on a rug later or something similar because they are use to standing on a pad or cloth like surface. Weather does effect the learning process, as most doxies do not like to go out in the snow or heavy rain to “potty”. There is something about not getting their paws wet or cold. My senior doxies have been housebroken for over 14 years and the only exception is when there is a bad storm of either snow or rain, then they are allowed to use the laundry room (and they know this) if nature calls and they can’t hold it due to weather. I have expensive oriental rugs throughout my house and I have never had one single accident on any, I even have one doxie who will walk totally around the rugs <grin>. Outside of having one male that I used as a stud years ago wanting to mark all of the furniture legs, (once fixed he stopped.) I’ve always been able to teach all of the dachshunds I’ve had to be housebroken. It takes patience at the beginning, but it pays off in the long run. Females for some odd reason seem to take a little bit longer as a general rule to TOTALLY housebreak, can’t give you a reason, it’s just something I have notice after raising, breeding and having dachshund for over 50 years.

I presently have 4 of my own and can have as many as 18 at my place due to the fact I rescue and also allow friends to let their doxies stay here while they go on vacation (we have summer camp every year). But I also have several doggie doors and a large fenced in yard that is dachshund proof <grin>. I do not have special kennels or creates to house them, they stay in our house and are treated like our own. A bit crowded at night trying to sleep around here at times, but I work all night in my studio, so we have some that stay up with me while others lounge around in many of the doggie beds we provide or go to bed with my husband <grin>. After all these are four legged children, not dogs!

By the way, the best doggie bed I have come up with over the years is a plastic storage container that holds a standard size pillow. They are reasonably priced, easy to clean and they don’t chew them up. Old pillowcases are easy to wash and pillows can be replaced when needed. So if you have not bought a doggie bed yet for that young pup, may I suggest you try my idea. After all, doxies need their naps and this makes a perfect place for them to lounge or sleep in. (that is, when they are not in bed with you.)

Jan
 A doxie lover in South Carolina


--
janmccraw@charter.net

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment