Re: disc disease

 

So sorry for your loss. He was so well loved and wishing you peace and comfort at this time. Eni and Pups Berkeley, Ca


From: Grace M <gracemdn@yahoo.com>
To: Dachsie_World@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, May 30, 2011 10:40:42 AM
Subject: Re: <Dachsie World> disc disease

 

Jakob deteriorated over night. He wasn't able to urinate by himself. He has had disc disease since he was a baby and we had him in hospital 5 times over the years. We were intending to do the laser surgery that dissolved certain discs. He had to heal first. We thought he was well on his way to recovering when he simply was walking on the floor and screamed. His back legs went out on him that quickly. The pain was clearly tremendous. We grabbed him and left for the doctor.

They xrayed him and showed us the many corrupted discs - 4 possibly a few more. By the time we had him after xray he had no pain at all - not a good thing.

The surgery would cost minimum $3500 - $6000 but could be much higher. There is no guarantee with surgery.

Jakob is the most rambunctious dog we have had - and we've had thirteen over our lives. He was stubborn (more than most), willfull, everything had to be HIS idea, and he was extremely athletic. Though we had kept from jumping off furniture and had created a more ramp like situation in the backyard for him to go there - our back yard is not smooth grass, but rocky, and with a deep arroyo spanning from front to back as a drainage measure during rains. He loves wandering through the garden on the other side of the arroyo. He was also a rather sad dog somehow - very serious, very smart. He loved his brother Charlie and us but loved food the most !! He was also very needy - his main human was my husband. He clung to him. He was devoted. When his back goes its my husband who carries him outside to potty. The were a strong bond.

We were told without the surgery he would never walk again. We knew even with the surgery it would be iffy - though I have heard a lot of good stories I have heard a lot of bad ones as well - my husband decided Jakob would be unhappy always confined. We chose to walk him over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. My husband held him while we sat on a couch together. He fell asleep in his arms. He did give me one last kiss. His brother Charlie is depressed. He knows. Plus I have been so weepy - the hole he has left in this house is huge. I will miss him for the rest of my life.

Often when you have to make these decisions the dog is older. Its easier. Our last one, Sophie, was 17 and had brain tumours.  It was okay to let her go. Jakob was so proud and beautiful. But the idea of a life where at any moment he could slip again even with surgery - and the vet wasn't sure it would help - didn't seem like a high-quality life.

Grace

--- On Sun, 5/29/11, Kevin Krippel <krippelk@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Kevin Krippel <krippelk@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: <Dachsie World> disc disease
To: Dachsie_World@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, May 29, 2011, 12:10 PM

 

I am very sorry to hear about Jacob's injury. My 13 year old dachsie, Bruno, injured her back and was paralyzed within an hour. I had to put her to sleep. It was very hard but I couldn't stand to see her in pain. 13 is very old to suffer a back injury in dachsies. 5 to 8 yrs. old is the usual time frame when they are vulnerable.
  My in-laws daschie, Ginger, was paralyzed at age 5. The surgery was $1500. She recovered and lived to be 12 years old. Her back legs were wobbly but she suffered no pain, post surgery. We built ramps for her to go outside, and she did well.
  I guess what I'm saying is there is no easy answer. I just hate to see my dogs suffer.I hope things go well for you and Jacob.
 
Kevin Krippel





__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment