Re: Food advise needed, struvite stones

 

Our son's Wire Fox Terrier had a similar problem last summer. He had an expensive surgery to remove the stones...over $1000. Our vet did a lot of research and felt the best food for Kirby is Natural Balance Vegan Formula served with water. She said he needs to drink a lot of water and soaking his food would be a bonus. It has been nearly a year and he is doing fine. We have noticed that he has gained weight since using this food though. He is 8 yrs old and is very active and was nice and trim until switching food.
 
Our 3 dachshunds eat a Canadae food but haven't had the bladder stone problems that Kirby has had. Our oldest Shelby has occasional problems with her anal glands.
 
Hope this helps,
Jenel

From: Lauren <LCody121@aol.com>
To: Dachsie_World@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, March 26, 2013 5:01 PM
Subject: <Dachsie World> Food advise needed, struvite stones
 
Hi All,

I am new to this list....glad to be among other dachshunds lovers;) I have a problem and wonder if anyone here has been through this:

One of my doxies (my female) just had surgery to remove three big stones from her bladder. They were struvite stones. So now her vet says she has to be on "special" food for life. BUT, the food she recommends has corn as it's second ingredient!:( I have always prided myself on (of nothing else lol) caring for and feeding my doxie's to the absolute best of my ability, that including premium food with no corn ever. (I am also a groomer and I know/see what corn does to dogs) In my opinion, this Royal Cainin OS formula is JUNK and I HATE feeding it to my girl:( I have been knocking myself out searching for a corn-free food that will prevent the formation of struvite stones/crystals, but have found NOTHING.

Has anyone else been through this, found an acceptable (high quality) food that assists in keeping the PH levels low/prevents struvite stones? I had one vet's office recommend keeping her on her same food, but giving her DL-Mephionine, which is a urinary acidifyer...does anyone have experience with this?

I would be so grateful for any advise/input:)

Lauren

__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (2)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment