Re: [boxer lovers] Introduction....question about food.

I'm sure your boys are really glad you opened your home.

Starvation can wreck its own havoc. Has your vet checked Oliver to make sure there's no underlying bacteria problem? And if you've had him on antibiotics, especially any meant for the gut area, it's possible the antibiotic killed off some of the good bacteria. So, although it has people flora and not dog specific, try adding some yogurt to his food. A rounded serving spoon. You want the kind that has the live culture (Dannon, Yoplait, etc). He might take the plain but I tend to use the vanilla. Its not that much sugar and might tempt him. Don't use artificially sweetened. Honey or sugar.

Also he may need more fiber. Canned pumpkin is a good source. NOT pumpkin pie mix, just canned pumpkin. Again, just a healthy serving spoon dollop on his food. There's also an enzyme in pumpkin that helps digestion.

I used a dog probiotic called Proviable. I believe I got it from KV Vet online. Its a powder in a capsule. You open the capsule and sprinkle thé powder on the food.

One other thing, since he was starving, for now you might try splitting is food into multiple (3 - 4 times/day) feedings. Less amounts might be easier on his tummy. Until he gets built up.

Good luck!

LisaW

Sent from my Verizon Wireless BlackBerry

-----Original Message-----
From: Rachel Fair <rachelspoodles@yahoo.com>
Sender: boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2011 18:30:25
To: boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com<boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com>
Reply-To: boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [boxer lovers] Introduction....question about food.

Hi everyone!

I am new to this list and wanted to introduce myself.  I live in Little Rock, Arkansas and have two Boxers.  I rescued Oliver the day before Thanksgiving last year.  He was just a puppy and had been starved almost to death and then dumped in a parking lot.  I really wasn't sure he would make it but, he did.  :)  He is a little over a year old now and he is my baby boy!!!  Then a few weeks ago my sister called me and said one of her friends had brought a Boxer puppy and they couldn't take care of him.  Of course, I said I would take him.  He was just about 5 weeks old when I got him.  He was skinny, dehydrated, and full of worms.  I named him Dodger.  He is about 8 weeks old now and doing great!  He is really supposed to be a foster puppy but, I fall more in love with him every day.  So, we'll see....he might become a keeper.  :)  I wasn't sure if I could attached pictures to an email so, I posted them in photo section of this list.  The
album name is:  Oliver and Dodger.  :)

My question is about Oliver.  He has a really sensitive stomach and has constantly runny, loose stool.  He does not have worms or anything like that.  I have tried him on several different foods and none of them have helped him.  I have him on Natures Recipe Salmon, Sweet Potato, and Pumpkin right now which says it is for sensitive stomachs but, he still has very runny stool.  Does anyone know of a good food for a dog with a really sensitive stomach?  

I appreciate any suggestions you might have and look forward to talking with ya'll more!  :)

Take care,

Rachel

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]


[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boxerlovers/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/boxerlovers/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
boxerlovers-digest@yahoogroups.com
boxerlovers-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
boxerlovers-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

0 comments:

Post a Comment