Re: disc disease

 



Grace, I want to extend to you my most heart felt comdolence for the loss of your little baby boy Jakob. You and your husband was truly his mommy and daddy and I know you loved him. May God grant you peace and comfort in your terrible loss. And may God bless you both and your remaining babies.

Sincerly

Ken

--- In Dachsie_World@yahoogroups.com, Enythe Green <mizala7@...> wrote:
>
> So sorry for your loss. He was so well loved and wishing you peace and comfort
> at this time. Eni and Pups Berkeley, Ca
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Grace M <gracemdn@...>
> To: Dachsie_World@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Mon, May 30, 2011 10:40:42 AM
> Subject: Re: <Dachsie World> disc disease
>
>  
> Jakob deteriorated over night. He wasn't able to urinate by himself. He has had
> disc disease since he was a baby and we had him in hospital 5 times over the
> years. We were intending to do the laser surgery that dissolved certain discs.
> He had to heal first. We thought he was well on his way to recovering when he
> simply was walking on the floor and screamed. His back legs went out on him that
> quickly. The pain was clearly tremendous. We grabbed him and left for the
> doctor.
>
>
> They xrayed him and showed us the many corrupted discs - 4 possibly a few more.
> By the time we had him after xray he had no pain at all - not a good thing.
>
> The surgery would cost minimum $3500 - $6000 but could be much higher. There is
> no guarantee with surgery.
>
> Jakob is the most rambunctious dog we have had - and we've had thirteen over our
> lives. He was stubborn (more than most), willfull, everything had to be HIS
> idea, and he was extremely athletic. Though we had kept from jumping off
> furniture and had created a more ramp like situation in the backyard for him to
> go there - our back yard is not smooth grass, but rocky, and with a deep arroyo
> spanning from front to back as a drainage measure during rains. He loves
> wandering through the garden on the other side of the arroyo. He was also a
> rather sad dog somehow - very serious, very smart. He loved his brother Charlie
> and us but loved food the most !! He was also very needy - his main human was my
> husband. He clung to him. He was devoted. When his back goes its my husband who
> carries him outside to potty. The were a strong bond.
>
> We were told without the surgery he would never walk again. We knew even with
> the surgery it would be iffy - though I have heard a lot of good stories I have
> heard a lot of bad ones as well - my husband decided Jakob would be unhappy
> always confined. We chose to walk him over the Rainbow Bridge yesterday. My
> husband held him while we sat on a couch together. He fell asleep in his arms.
> He did give me one last kiss. His brother Charlie is depressed. He knows. Plus I
> have been so weepy - the hole he has left in this house is huge. I will miss him
> for the rest of my life.
>
> Often when you have to make these decisions the dog is older. Its easier. Our
> last one, Sophie, was 17 and had brain tumours.  It was okay to let her go.
> Jakob was so proud and beautiful. But the idea of a life where at any moment he
> could slip again even with surgery - and the vet wasn't sure it would help -
> didn't seem like a high-quality life.
>
> Grace
>
> --- On Sun, 5/29/11, Kevin Krippel <krippelk@...> wrote:
>
>
> >From: Kevin Krippel <krippelk@...>
> >Subject: Re: <Dachsie World> disc disease
> >To: Dachsie_World@yahoogroups.com
> >Date: Sunday, May 29, 2011, 12:10 PM
> >
> >
> > 
> >I am very sorry to hear about Jacob's injury. My 13 year old dachsie, Bruno,
> >injured her back and was paralyzed within an hour. I had to put her to sleep. It
> >was very hard but I couldn't stand to see her in pain. 13 is very old to suffer
> >a back injury in dachsies. 5 to 8 yrs. old is the usual time frame when they are
> >vulnerable.
> >
> >  My in-laws daschie, Ginger, was paralyzed at age 5. The surgery was $1500. She
> >recovered and lived to be 12 years old. Her back legs were wobbly but she
> >suffered no pain, post surgery. We built ramps for her to go outside, and she
> >did well.
> >  I guess what I'm saying is there is no easy answer. I just hate to see my dogs
> >suffer.I hope things go well for you and Jacob.
> > Kevin Krippel
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> ________________________________
>
> >
> >
>

__._,_.___
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment