Re: [boxer lovers] New Member getting a boxer- need your thoughts

 

Tammy,

If she can find another alternative it would be best in my opinion...

Good Luck,

Annette

Alan and Annette Hake
and the animals we love,
on Menookhaw Mountain
Ravenden, Arkansas

--- On Wed, 6/29/11, Tammy Zurak <tammylzurak@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Tammy Zurak <tammylzurak@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: [boxer lovers] New Member getting a boxer- need your thoughts
To: boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com
Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 5:50 PM

 

Hi Annette,

Thanks for responding.  My Pyrs are house dogs, no livestock to guard- just us. 

Actually, one is half Pyr, half Anatolian Shepherd- attached a photo for you to

see.  My husband told me today now the Boxer (Buster) might not be coming, his

ex lives in Cancun and is having a hard time figuring out shipping.  Most of the

airlines won't take the short nosed dogs when it is 75 degrees or hotter on

either end (which I guess you all likely knew) but she thought she had another

option but now not so sure.   It's been 95 every day here for weeks.

I was hoping the fact he was a still a puppy might bode well for him, that they

would be more willing to teach him versus fight him.  Willow loves dogs and

really likes to play but Riley prefers to watch so I was thinking a high energy

Boxer might be a good match for her and take the pressure off Riley. I can also

see though that there could be jealousy since my two are a bonded pair. 

Love to hear what others think too, thanks!

Tammy in TN

________________________________

From: Annette Hake <annettehake@yahoo.com>

To: boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com

Sent: Wed, June 29, 2011 10:28:37 AM

Subject: Re: [boxer lovers] New Member getting a boxer- need your thoughts

 

WOW!!!  Tammy.... you are asking for advise so here it is.....

  I had a similar situation... I have  a female Great Pyrenees and an male

Antolian Shepherd out in the goat pen with the goats.... at the time there were

no goats in the pen with them because we had sold them....and the LGDs were in

one of the pens...

I bought a male Boxer to breed with my female boxer but he was use to being

outside so I put him in the pen (formally for goats) next to the two

LGDS...everything was fine for a while and then one day... OUT OF NOWHERE... the

two Pyrenees and the Boxer were going at each other through the fence

gate..between the two pens..... I was really worried that it was a "to the death

fight" and probably would have been  if they had been in the same area....I

could not call them off..The female was spayed but the two males were

intact...not sure if that was the problem or

not...but  the female LGD was just as ready to fight as the male LGD  and the

Boxer was ready to take them both on...it was scary...so I got the boxer out of

that pen and put him on a run in the front yard and all is fine now...they can

see each other at times but it is not like they are within fighting distance of

each other...and I am transitioning the male boxer to being in the house with my

two female boxers...

The boxer ( Marcus) was 8 mo. old when I brought him home...  My LSDs are Male-

92 lbs and female similar weight...Boxer is about 72 lbs now at 4 years old ..

not sure what he was at 8 mo. I am guessing about 50 lbs...

Even though that I brought Marcus into the LGDs territory ......they had had run

of both pens when we had the goats....the pens are big ...lots of space to get

away from each other...

I did not expect that to happen because it seemed like they were getting along

fine for several months...then one day....apparently one challenged the other

and that

was that...I could not get them anywhere close to each other again...they did

not forget the death threats to each other...

Bringing them into your home may not be a good idea...IMO

History behind the LGDs:P

We got two brother LGDs (Anatolian Shepherds) to start with and a year later got

 2 Great Pyrenees sisters to breed with the males...at that time of this

situation, we only had one male and one female LGD...  but when the brothers

were growing up together they were together in the pen and all was good...they

guarded  the live stock together and played together but once we separated them

and gave them each a female...they never were able to be in adjacent pens again

because they wanted to fight each other...and were very protective of their

goats and their females...

You have a male and female and the male will probably want to protect your

female from the incoming strange male...that may have been

what happened here too...unless him being a puppy will make a difference...not

sure but it is not a good idea in my experience...Both LGDs are very loving to

us and obedient but when they got in the fight mode.. They would not call off

and neither would the boxer...I had to pull him away from the gate with a leash

and it was hard to get him away from there... I can't imagine what it would have

been if they were all in the same space together.

LGDs and boxers are both territorial dogs and protectors of what they deam as

theirs...so you may be asking for more than you can handle bringing the boxer

into that situation...

At first the Boxer will probably be out of his territory so he will be less

likely to want to fight.. but as he gets comfortable with his surrounding he may

try to make a move towards the female or challenge the bigger dogs and that

could get ugly...I think that is what happened with mine...

I would not do it but you have to decide that for yourself ...

Sorry may not be what you wanted to hear but could avoid a dangerous situation

in your home....

Annette

Marcus, Maggie and BooSahrah and Meloch

Alan and Annette Hake

and the animals we love,

on Menookhaw Mountain

Ravenden, Arkansas

--- On Wed, 6/29/11, tammylzurak <tammylzurak@yahoo.com> wrote:

From: tammylzurak <tammylzurak@yahoo.com>

Subject: [boxer lovers] New Member getting a boxer- need your thoughts

To: boxerlovers@yahoogroups.com

Date: Wednesday, June 29, 2011, 1:09 AM

 

Hi Everyone,

I have two rescue Great Pyrenees that are roughly 4 1/2 and 3 years old. My

stepson is moving in with us at the end of July and bringing his 8 month old

Boxer to live with us as well. I have been reading up on Boxers but am curious

to hear if any of you have much bigger dogs that you have introduced a new Boxer

to? We are hoping the ex-wife will get the dog altered before he comes here next

month but it doesn't sound promising so he may be coming to us intact. He is

about 45 pounds now and my two are 70 (female) and 95 (male) respectively (small

for Pyrs).

We will have them meet on neutral ground for a walk together to see how things

go and then bring them all home. He's still a puppy so I'm hoping that my two

(Riley and Willow) will be accepting of their new pack member. They generally

like other dogs and want to play with them but I belong to a Pyr chat group and

I hear tales of two males sometimes fighting for position in the pack. My female

is definitely the alpha in charge (behind me!) so it should be interesting to

see how this goes. I'm really just hoping to avoid fights and never having had

three dogs at one time don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance for your

thoughts.

Tammy in TN

[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

0 comments:

Post a Comment